Monday, July 19, 2010

Single Gender Classroom - An opportunity for better instruction.

I have proposed this concept two years ago to the principal.  I wanted an all-girl section and one all-boy section, one academic/accelerated section; one heterogeneous section and one section of the neediest students with reading difficulties.   Yes, this would have created more work for me, but wouldn't it have been worth it for the students?   My idea was not only pushed aside, avoided, but was ignored.  No surprise, he was certainly not an innovator.  I was hoping to be able to present Gender-appropriate material to my students, based on interests and discussion topics.     Please read this article, posted in the Post Gazette, Pittsburgh, (click on the title for this post) where this concept is taking hold, as the public schools have taken a bit of advice from private school practices.   In my opinion, and especially for students leaving junior high, this is an ideal time to change up the classroom with gender.   Keep it the same for health class and Phys Ed.   I would even suggest the strength of Gender-class for theater arts, vocal ensemble, math, home economics, English, and computer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment