Monday, January 26, 2009

Dealing with Parents

As a 20 year professional, I find it very insulting to be badgered repeatedly by a few parents who expect their child's grades to be at an absolute constant - say "95" all the time, with out the natural ebb and flow that occurs with missing assignments, and some not yet entered, and some not graded. Before the online grading system, I had a quiet teacher grade book, that didn't speak volumes ONLINE. Now that every assignment, every activity description and every point is able to be viewed by each and every parent, I am assailed with what is Susie doing? nor not doing?

Well, let me see, assignment 1,2 and 3 (fully described) are all missing! Parent, what is your first clue? Or, the parent who emails constantly and expects an immediate answer, and I see the little expert for 42 minutes from 12:30 - 1:15. Won't have an answer about little Johnny until I have another plan period, the next day from 9:50- 10:30!

And nothing is more aggravating that to have spent hours and hours of a precious weekend, and time taken from my family, grading papers, entering scores and finalizing grades for 130+ students then to be asked for extra credit. Just what I needed, more to do, so your little prodigy can get an artificial "A."

I choose a prayer,
Lord help me, give up the time my family deserves for these people who think I owe them much, who will chastise me in an instant, and drop me like a ball, when it comes to their child,
and help me see that I do what you have planned for me, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment