Friday, January 23, 2009

Recognizing Positive Behavior

Today I received a note in my school mailbox with a LifeSaver spearmint candy taped to it. The reminder to me was have a goal to give 10 positive tokens a week to students. I must witness this behavior, and then reward it with a special coupon. I would love to give these out to students, but I haven't seen any behavior that is above and beyond, and I haven't seen students do the normal and expected.
I expect them to bring their class materials. Many don't. I expect them to come to class on time. Several are habitually late. I expect that they won't steal. A recent theft of a an MP3 player occurred on Friday, in the AM. I expect my students to be respectful of their teacher. Most try. I expect them to listen while I speak. They often carry on their own conversations. I expect them to sit in an assigned seat, especially when I have a special arrangement made. They skip my request and sit where they choose. I have a late sign in- some are ignoring it when late, and not recording their transgressions of being late. I have a sign - out and some are fudging the amount of time out of the room, claiming they can't read the analog clock.

Well, I'll be glad to give out a few of the tokens, once students go above and beyond what I expect from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment