Saturday, February 14, 2009

Student Seeks Forgiveness

I had a student call my home to apologize for saying something disrespectful in my presence during class. Her call was prompted by her parents insistence that she make amends. She finally came "clean" with her parents, once she realized that more of her teachers were hearing about the rubber balls bouncing in the classroom. That form of "public" awareness influenced her enough, that she felt she had better tell her parents that she slipped into peer pressure to be noticed and popular.

I forgave her transgression, and see the power in the knowledge shared with the other teachers as to what students are doing, so that we can better address their behavior issues and keep them on better behavior tracks. We love teaching, and love students and want to see them reach higher and higher. I give her parents a load of credit for providing a consequence for the wrong.

Here's the problem. In no way, ever, will I write a letter of recommendation, or a letter of support for any of these kids when they attempt to get into National Honor Society, or want letters for college applications. I struggle with complete forgiveness for the others, tainted by the fact that the others will never apologize and I am still hurt by their disrespect, which has been a constant thorn in my side since September, 2008.

Father, they know not what they do...

No comments:

Post a Comment