Monday, February 16, 2009

Okay to skip class?

Today, an extensive lesson on using MOODLE was designed for my students and their vocabulary 6 unit. Students were new to the online environment, and needed to log in and change passwords, and learn navigation of the site. They also were working on their vocabulary exercises, in preparation for Friday's vocabulary test. I had a number of students absent, one working from home, and one skip out.

I filled out newly changed paperwork (this is February 17!!!!!) on his case - had no place to mark "Skipped class" and the office wondered why I marked it Minor - 2 - I was hoping, as a teacher needs for support, that a consequence follows the infraction, especially when the principal had him at the office, and released him to class with 5 minutes remaining! Amazing.

But nothing, who knows? I was handed a "retraining packet" for him to do. When? When is this going to happen? Does he miss more class to do these "retrainings?" I was hoping in the least that he would be assigned to his resource room, come early to school or Internal suspension during the class period.

I really take issue that these "retraining packets" which involve and require WRITING, are used as a punishment, with no regard to one of the most important skills I teach in English - currently the only discipline method on the books....WHY?

No comments:

Post a Comment