Sunday, March 22, 2009

Retirement

Today, after Mass, I ran into a colleague who teaches in the same District. She mentioned that she is retiring. I answered her affirmative with "Bless your Heart." I asked if a party was going to happen, and told her I wanted to share that event with her. I look forward to it. As, I know from what was done to me in my building this past year, was also done to her. The principals arbitrarily in each of the three high schools moved teachers from the lower level middle grades - 7,8 and teachers specifically trained with that age level with a HS 9-10 teacher. No one has been entirely happy about this type of arbitrary, illogical, senseless action done for spite, or to protect an non-tenured teacher who can't handle the discipline or the teaching material, or even one that began with a PRAXIS certified individual who was never trained to be an English teacher, who bid into a HS classroom.

She was treated with disdain this school year from her principal, like me, changed two grade levels from 8th to 10th, while he waited for her to become disgruntled and quit. He made a comment which got back to her that he said. "I got what I wanted, she's retiring." She called herself his "thorn." I don't believe that to be the case - for this is a hard working, dedicated to English education teacher. Her experience with middle level students was critical, and she was pushed. What an absolutely unprofessional, callous, evil man. He not only is a drunkard, he has many other issues, including abuse, and no integrity. He has beaten his children, been called upon through the county youth services, and can't make a proper educational decision to save his skin. Unfortunately, he was trained under the principal who runs the building where I work.

There is no respite in moving to another building, and many of us bide our time until these idiots burn themselves out or retire. The beginning of the end happened when a zealot of a principal was hired in the 1990's, who went on to become a superintendent. That man went on to hire "followers" as principals, and created a regime that took a high-standing district in Western PA and turned it into a lawless, hateful place. I understand he was given a few months to live, as he is suffering from a stage 4 cancer. No one wishes him to suffer and die, but there does seem to be some justice in the end.

Here's to the need for justice for all those who have been wronged.

No comments:

Post a Comment